Be the first one to learn about service and product updates.
Mobile HomeCage Large®
The Mobile HomeCage-Large® (MHC-L V3) allows combining live imaging and physiological recordings with more complex behavioral readouts than those possible in a standard size Mobile HomeCage®. MHC-L accommodates floating mazes. Several labs are currently testing it for place cell recording.
Request a Quote
Request a Trial
Bigger is not always better. We developed the Mobile HomeCage Large® not to supersize the product that was already proven to work. Rather, the goal was to accomplish something that could not be done in the standard size Mobile HomeCage®. We wanted to enable more complex behavioral experiments (such as maze navigation) and create conditions suitable for place cell recording.
Let us recapitulate the Mobile HomeCage’s core functionalities. The device combines a stable head fixation apparatus with an air table. A head-restrained mouse is placed in an extremely light but durable cage made of carbon fiber. When the air starts to flow, the animal moves the cage with its paws and, because there is very little friction, the mouse has an illusion that it walks around the cage. This illusion is key to reducing the stress experienced by mice under standard head-restraint conditions. Keeping the stress under control allows performing 2-photon imaging, electrophysiological recordings and optogenetic stimulation in the brain of awake behaving mice.
Making the floating cage light enough for the mouse to move it without much effort was no an easy task even in the regular-size Mobile HomeCage®. Since the floating cage’s diameter is much larger in the Mobile HomeCage Large, using the carbon fiber was not good enough. We implemented a sandwich structure for the cage’s bottom in order to keep the weight down to the bare minimum. We offer you a choice of two cage diameters (290 and 325 mm) to ensure compatibility with various 2-photon microscope models. There is also a choice of different wall heights (70 mm, 40 mm, 20 mm). The latter two options allow better access with micromanipulators. The 20 mm wall cage is best suited for patch clamp recordings.
Compatibility with 2-photon microscopes
The Mobile HomeCage® Large is compatible with Nikon A1R (gantry frame), Sutter MOM, NeuroLabware’s, La Vision Biotech’s, & Femtonics’ newer microscope models. It is also compatible with ThorLabs’ Bergamo, Bruker Investigator and Scientifica’s Hyperscope (VivoScope and SliceScope frames) with some limitations for the diameter of the carbon cage. For more information about compatibility requirements, please contact us at email@example.com.
Foam cage and mazes
Instead of using the carbon cage, you can opt for a floating foam cage or maze (scroll down for the images). We offer a selection of two foam mazes (T-maze and donut-maze) with different wall heights (40 or 70 mm). The donut-maze can be used for place cell recording as it provides an endless circular track with a circumference of ~ 1 meter. The foam cage’s advantage over the carbon fiber cage is its reduced weight. Please remember, that foam mazes and cages are not as durable as carbon cages and they cannot be washed. We ship them disassembled: you will need to put them together and glue them yourself. It’s like playing with Lego. Pure fun!
Clamps and head plates
Clamp and head plate design are crucial for ensuring the stability of two-photon imaging and electrophysiological recordings in awake mice. We offer several clamp and multiple head plate models. Follow the links to clamp options and to head plates and learn which model is best suited for your research purposes.
Air flow and noise
We include a noise reduction unit with every Mobile HomeCage® Large device. Although it does not look like high-tech, it helps to further reduce the acoustic noise generated by air streaming through the air dispenser lid. The Mobile HomeCage® can operate from a standard laboratory air source or any air source capable of supplying an air flow of at least 150 L/min. Noise reduction unit should not be used with portable air pumps.
Locomotion tracking is an optional feature for the Mobile HomeCage Large. The tracking device is built into the air dispenser. For more information about our magnetic tracking solution, which includes open source software, follow this link to the new product.
In summary, this is what you can do with the Mobile HomeCage® Large:
- Perform neurophysiological experiments in non-anesthetized mice;
- Combine high precision recordings with complex behavioral tests such as maze navigation;
- Firmly immobilize the head of a freely moving awake animal;
- Greatly reduce the stress experienced by awake animals under standard head-fixation conditions;
- Apply a variety of sensory stimuli (tactile, visual, auditory, olfactory);
- Provide food, drink, monitor animals while they socialize or sleep;
- Access lateral regions of the brain (with the help of a rotating clamp);
- Begin experiments after only 4 days of habituation and training;
- Ensure higher yield and superior reproducibility of results;
- Engage in new areas of research with more advanced behavioral paradigms.
- Dimensions: 720 X 570 X 210 mm
- Floating cage dimensions: Ø325 X 70 mm, Ø325 X 40 mm, Ø290 X 70 mm or Ø290 X 40 mm
- Weight: 15,2 kg
- Materials: aluminum, carbon fiber
Mobile HomeCage® Large kit composition
A standard Mobile HomeCage® Large kit has everything you need to start using the device. It includes:
- air dispenser
- bridge and towers
- standard clamp or Levelt clamp with rotating neck
- Ø325 X 70 mm ultralight weight carbon fiber cage (can be substituted with any other ultralight weight model, see below under accessories)
- ten head plates of your choice (default: model 1 headplates, 4,2 mm opening)
- 12 mm diameter hose (length: 3 meters) for connecting to air source & noise reduction unit
- hex screws
- Ultra-lightweight carbon cages, Ø325 X 70 mm, Ø325 X 40 mm, Ø325 X 20, Ø290 X 70 mm and Ø290 X 40 mm are designed to roughly match the weight of the test animal for effortless movement;
- Wall-less carbon discs (diameter 325 or 290 mm) allow for easier visual stimulation and unobstructed access with micromanipulators and other research equipment – the air stream at the edges of the disc discourages mice from leaving the disc;
- Foam mazes enable more complex behavioral tests such as maze navigation;
- Head plates (selection of 13 models for various research purposes);
- Standard or Levelt clamp (please specify your preference at order);
- Tilted clamp (10, 20, 30, 35 degrees tilt in the nodding direction, not adjustable) is designed to provide for a more natural head position (must be used with tilting microscope objective);
- Elongated lower lip is designed to ensure compatibility with wide-diameter objectives;
- Short neck (45 mm vs. standard 75 mm) is designed to ensure compatibility with short objectives;
- MultiCage Training Arena enhances the work flow by making it possible to train three mice simultaneously;
- MultiCage Upgrade Kit allows converting the Mobile HomeCage Large into a training arena for three mice and vice a versa;
- Locomotion tracking device and open source software: please see under the Mobile HomeCage Large with tracking capability;
- If unsure which spare parts and accessories you need or whether the Mobile HomeCage Large will fit into your experimental set-up, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.